Contactless coating of battery cells
New process: coating replaces foiling of battery cells
Battery cells that are used in electric vehicles are usually covered with a protective film. A laborious and costly process. As an alternative to this, there is now a special UV-Coating that protects the sensitive cell modules just as well.
For this new type of coating, our engineers have developed a fully automatic system solution on behalf of the customer. Here, prismatic cell modules in various formats can be coated contactless in a continuous process.
As a result, the entire production process for battery cell manufacture could be accelerated and costs reduced.
Innovation in conveyor technology without the workpiece carrier
In the former coating process, to prevent the terminals of the cell modules as well as the degassing valve, DMC code and the sides being coated with overspray, the battery cells were placed upside down in the workpiece carrier.
Unfavorable here: The entire carrier was also coated and had to be cleaned of the special paint with each new batch.
Our solution was to place the cell modules directly on a suitably modified belt strap. The cell modules can be placed close to each other so that the terminals and corresponding areas stay protected from overspray during the entire coating process.
The most important advantages at a glace
- No workpiece carriers
- Increased production speed - conveying is continuous within a time window of 10 to 13 minutes.
- Three battery cell formats can be coated without having to convert the system.
- No handling, turning, or gripping.
- No damage to the battery cells.
- Paint recovery during coating reduces paint consumption.
- No use of robots instead permanently installed spray guns that apply continuous operation.
- Ease of maintenance: All system components’ that are important for maintenance and replacement, are easily accessible or mounted on rollers or on for easy extension.
If you would like to learn more about the topic: Non-contact coating of battery cells or other coating solutions, please contact our sales team.